I keep meaning to mention these things as I stumble across them, but then, well, life happens and they fall off my table.
So here’s a handful of queer-related news (from The Advocate, Los Angeles Time, and Seattle P-I):
- Apparently the Cabinet has reached a tipping point. “With June being Pride Month, the list of cabinet secretaries openly supporting marriage equality is growing fast.”
- Marriage equality–a fight over whether the state will keep the marriage law it passed earlier this year–is going on the ballot in Maryland. “Marriage equality opponents needed to gather more than 55,000 signatures to put a repeal of the law up to a majority vote of Maryland’s citizens in November. The number of signatures deemed “valid” as part of an unofficial count has now climbed to 70,000…”
- The Boy Scouts of America are considering allowing gay scouts and scout leaders. “The announcement comes after activist Zach Wahls delivered 275,000 petition signatures to the group and met with its leadership. Wahls, an Eagle Scout who has two moms, was outraged that a lesbian mother had been removed as den leader for a Cub Scout troop. And he got back into his uniform and delivered the petition on her behalf last week.”
- ETA: Over 300 Mormons joined the Salt Lake City Pride Parade: “They came in suits and skirts, and they drew tears and cheers. More than 300 current and former members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints participated in the Utah Gay Pride Parade on Sunday as part of a group called Mormons Building Bridges.“
- And finally, as expected, same-sex marriage in Washington state has been temporarily blocked and will be decided in a referendum at the polls in November. I love the fact that, publicly, everyone is very optimistic the vote will pass. But I think it will get close and it will get ugly. I’m not looking forward to autumn. If at any point you or your friends or relatives get confused, I would like you to vote to APPROVE Referendum 74. Got that? APPROVE R-74.
You’ll be hearing a lot more about this from me as we approach election day.
4 thoughts on “Queer updates”
Good luck on the Washington state vote, but look for a massive influx of money to come from the LDS Church as happened in Californian & Prop 8.
I will be happy when all humans have the LEGAL right to be happy, not just the MORAL one to do so. Straight or Gay you are all some ones child, and all have the right to have some one who loves you, equally under law as well as life.
Dave, there'll be money pouring into the state from all over the place. Which is why things might get ugly: lots of TV ads, lots of national operatives. Not a fun autumn ahead.
I second that “watch for LDS money” when it comes to the BSA. I would really like them to change their policies though; I had a lot of fun in the Scouts till they kicked me out for being an atheist.
One link I forgot to post: 300 current and former LDS members (straight) marched in the Salt Lake City Pride parade (as reported by the LATimes–just added). It's getting interesting.
Comments are closed.