Nominations are now open for the Hugo Awards. The nomination period is open until March 31.1
For Best Related Work2 I’d like to point you to Letters to Tiptree, edited by Alisa Krasnostein and Alexandra Pierce. It contains letters from 35 writers, editors, critics and fans (including me) who have been influenced by the work of Dr Alice Sheldon (a/k/a James Tiptree, Jr., a/k/a Raccoona Sheldon). On top of those essays (which are astonishing in and of themselves) there’s bonus reprint material:
- archived letters from Ursula K. Le Guin, Joanna Russ and James Tiptree Jr./Alice Sheldon (and frankly the editors deserve a Hugo simply for getting those permissions; if you’ve never dealt with a literary estate before let me tell you, it requires heroic determination)
- excerpts from The Secret Feminist Cabal: A Cultural History of Science Fiction Feminisms by Helen Merrick
- excerpt from Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction by Justine Larbalestier
- essay by Michael Swanwick
It’s a great collection and until March 31 you can buy the ebook for just 99c from Amazon, Weightless, and other retailers. One dollar. That’s an amazing price (amazing price for any book, but for this one it’s a absolute steal).
Three of the essays are available for free:
- My contribution, “The Women You Didn’t See,” at the Los Angeles Review of Books
- Gwyneth Jones’s “Dear Dr Sheldon” at Strange Horizons
- Brit Mandelo’s essay, (doesn’t seem to have a title) at Tor.com
Go take a look. And go vote.
ETA: Also on sale in the UK and Australia.
1 To be presented at MidAmeriConII, the 74th Worldcon, August 17-21, 2016 in Kansas City MO if you have an attending or supporting membership for MidAmeriConII, Sasquan (the 2015 Worldcon), or Worldcon 75 (the 2017 Worldcon) by January 31, 2015. The nomination period closes March 31, 2016 at at 11:59pm Pacific Daylight Time. More information on the Hugo Awards, and how to submit a nominating ballot, can be found at the MidAmeriConII site.
2 Hugo Award categories
One thought on “Letters to Tiptree on sale for a dollar so you can read and nominate it for a Hugo Award”
Thanks for the Tiptree tip, Nicola, and for mentioning that MidAmeriConII is in Kansas City this summer. KC is a lot closer to home than St Louis, so Terry and I might be able to go.
Comments are closed.